This is the first opportunity I’ve had to write to you since Calgary’s municipal election on October 16th. Firstly, I am deeply honoured to be representing the amazing neighbourhoods of Ward 9 for a third term and am so grateful for the support and encouragement I received to continue our mission of building Great Neighbourhoods.
Though this election was, at times, divisive and discouraging, it is my belief that our Ward 9 neighbours were clear in their commitment to building a city that is affordable, vibrant, inclusive, economically diverse and pays for itself in the long-term.
Over the last few weeks, your Team Ward 9 has been busy getting the office ready for this term and reconnecting with many of our neighbours. Together, there is a lot we want to accomplish over the next four years in Fairview. From delivering the $21.1 million South Crosstown BRT to improve transit options and frequency for Fairview residents to supporting the community association’s redevelopment of Fairview’s amazing playgrounds, your Team Ward 9 is ready to roll up our sleeves and get back to work.
Over this term on Council, I will continue to fight for Fairview in the following ways:
- Continuing to strengthen our relationships with Calgary Police Service, Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods (SCAN) and our Bylaw Services partners to address crime and social disorder issues.
- Taking care of our most vulnerable neighbours by increasing access to affordable housing and public transit and fighting to keep the Fair Entry and Scale programs.
- Actively addressing problem properties through the expansion of the Coordinated Safety Response team.
- Strengthening the Community Standard Bylaw to maintain Fairview’s high quality of life.
- Developing a new approach to local area planning through deep community engagement and achieving the objectives of “Conversation Fairview”.
The landscape of Ward 9 has changed significantly with this election and we welcome 8 new neighbourhoods to our ward.
Finally, I want to take a moment to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and happy holidays, however you may celebrate it. I am overjoyed to be representing a strong, unified East Calgary and I encourage all of you over the holiday season to explore all of what your new Ward 9 has to offer.
Please remember that your Team Ward 9 is here to serve you. Never hesitate to reach out to our office by calling us at 403-268-5330 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.