Now that Calgarians are able to recycle and compost all year-long, it’s important to put items in the right carts. Here are a few tips to follow:
- Every little bit counts! Plate scrapings, fruit pits, bones, egg shells and sauces can all be composted.
- Is your green cart full? Put extra leaves and branches into paper yard waste bags. Roll closed and place at least 1 ft. to the side of your green cart on collection day.
- Remember to bag your plastic bags! All plastic grocery bags, bread bags, sandwich bags and plastic wrap need to be put in one bag and tied closed before recycling.
- Is your blue cart full? Make sure to break down all boxes to make room or take extras to a community recycling depot.
- If an item can’t be recycled or composted, then it has reached its end-of-life and belongs in the garbage. This includes chip bags, granola wrappers, foam packaging, and dryer lint.
- Is your black cart full? You can put out extra garbage bags by placing at least 1 ft. to the side of your black cart on collection day.
If you’re not sure of how to dispose of an item, use our online search tool What Goes Where to find the answers! Visit calgary.ca/whatgoeswhere to look up hundreds of different items.