Alberta Cannabis Framework Announced
This past summer, the Alberta Government heard from the public and stakeholders about Alberta’s approach to cannabis legalization. More than 45,000 Albertans responded to the online survey! Based on these results, the draft of the Alberta Cannabis Framework has been released.
The Alberta Cannabis Framework proposes who will be able to buy and use cannabis once it is legal, where they will be able to buy it and where they will be allowed to use it.
The framework supports four policy priorities for legalization: keeping cannabis out of the hands of children, promoting public safety on roads, in workplaces and in public spaces, protecting public health and limiting the illicit market.
Details regarding the draft framework include:
- A minimum age of 18 to purchase and consume cannabis.
- Provincial oversight and regulation of wholesaling and distribution of cannabis products through the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (AGLC).
- A public possession limit for adults of 30 grams.
- The ability to grow up to four cannabis plants, no taller than one metre, at home for personal use.
- Restrictions on retail locations selling alcohol, tobacco or pharmaceuticals together with cannabis.
- Strict rules around zoning retail locations and training for employees.
- Province wide restrictions on where cannabis can be used in public, with an emphasis on protecting children and limiting second-hand exposure.
- Ability for municipalities to introduce additional restrictions on public consumption.
- New tools to expand the ability of police to address drug-impaired driving.
- Development of an extensive public education program.
Full details of the draft Alberta Cannabis Framework are available online and Albertans are encouraged to provide feedback to the government. For more details, please visit https://www.alberta.ca/cannabis-legalization.aspx.
Holiday Open House
I’ll be hosting my annual Holiday Open House on December 8th from 4pm – 7pm. Feel free to drop by my office for some festive treats, warm beverages and some great conversation!
As always if you have any questions or concerns, please contact my office.