This month, I wanted to highlight some of the progress we’ve made together to support the middle class and those working hard to join it:
- Cut taxes for 9 million middle-class Canadians.
- Introduced the Canada Child Benefit, which is helping the families of 180,000 children in Calgary alone. The average recipient in Calgary receives $5,620 per year.
- Invested $1.6 billion in Alberta’s infrastructure, including investments in flood mitigation, the southwest ring road (Tsuut’ina Trail), Green Line LRT, and arts and culture spaces.
- Restored 65 as the eligibility age for Old Age Security (OAS) and Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) benefits.
- Boosted the GIS top-up benefit for single, low-income seniors up to $947 per year.
- Strengthened the Canada Pension Plan (CPP).
- Helped 1.4 million low-income workers through the Working Income Tax Benefit.
- Extended Employment Insurance (EI) benefits for Calgarians.
- Made EI more flexible for parents and caregivers.
- Provided 50% more tuition money to 35,000 Alberta post-secondary students, with full-time students from low-income families getting an extra $1,000 per year.
- Approved pipelines, helping to create thousands of jobs and ensure a growing market for Canadian energy.
- Lowering the small business tax rate to 9%, saving businesses up to $7,500 annually.
- Improving access to subsidized child care.
Our plan is working. Canada has the fastest growing economy in the G7, youth unemployment is the lowest on record, and we are investing in the long term while reducing the deficit.
While constituents tell me more and more that things are picking up again in Calgary, I know there is more to do. That’s why we’re using Canada’s growth to double-down on our efforts to support the middle class and those working hard to join it.
Get in touch: visit www.KentHehrMP.ca, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-244-1880.